Camping is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, especially if you're taking your pickup truck. You can use your truck cap to haul all your camping essentials to your most favorite campsite. At one time or another, most of us have forgotten that one can't-do-without item that would have made our camping trip that much more enjoyable. Gather the most important items you need to camp in the back of your pickup truck.
1. Find used carpeting to lay down on the pickup bed floor to give you added insulation and protection. If you intend to sleep inside the truck bed, purchase an air mattress and a sleeping bag. Bring along blankets and pillows to sleep comfortably.
2. Make sure you have a backpack with camping supplies. Your supplies should include: water bottle, energy bars or hard candy, matches or lighter, knife, cell phone with GPS, small two-way weather radio, map, compass, first aid kit with pain medicine, small flashlight, space blanket, cap and gloves, camp cup, bullion cubes, signal mirror, folding saw, glow sticks, note pad and pencil, small rain poncho, binoculars, whistle, sunblock, small travel sewing kit, clean wipes and a few zipper bags.
3. Store all your toiletry items inside a toiletry bag, and place it inside of your backpack. Items should include: soap and washcloth, small toothpaste and toothbrush, feminine products, dental floss, shampoo, towel, tweezers, deodorant, comb or hairbrush, razor and shaving cream and bug repellent.
4. Purchase a storage box for larger camping gear. This gear may include: tool kit, hatchet, large flashlight, toilet paper, canned foods, camp dishes and utensils, frying pan, extra clothing, duct tape, rope, GI shovel, large trash bags and slingshot.
5. Make some room inside the truck bed for your extra-large equipment. These may include: 5-gallon water jug, 5-gallon gas can, collapsible tent, ice chest, folding chairs, firewood, air compressor or generator. If any of these items become unstable, you may need to secure them with rope or a tie-down.
Items you will need
- Air mattress
- Sleeping bag
- Blankets and pillows
- Toiletry bag
- Storage box
- 5-gallon water jug
- 5-gallon gas can
- Collapsible tent
- Ice chest
- Air compressor
- To further prepare your truck cap for camping, you may want to have cap insulation installed.
- If you're going out hunting or fishing, consider installing window or ceiling mounts for your rifle or fishing pole.
- Any high-priced item, such as a generator, would be easy prey for a thief if it can be seen from the outside of the truck cap. The best fix for this is to have window curtains and/or dark-tinted windows as well as permanently bolting the generator down to the truck bed.
- Jupiterimages/Photos.com/Getty Images