Spinning fish reels are those that hang below the handle of the fishing rod to which they are attached. They are perhaps the most commonly used type of fishing reel, and anglers of all skill levels use them to target big and small fish alike. Anglers have to remove the spools of their spinning reels for a variety of reasons, including to clean them or to remove knots or loops in the line.
1. Hold the spinning reel so the spool faces up.
2. Grab the knob on top of the spool, which holds the spool to the reel. On some reels, this knob also controls the drag system. Turn the knob counterclockwise to loosen it.
3. Pull the knob off the reel when you can.
4. Grab the spool and pull it straight up and off the reel.
- Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images