Spinning reels are one of the most common types of fishing reels that anglers of all skill levels use. The reels can be used in both freshwater and saltwater, and are available in sizes that can handle the smallest and largest game fish alike. But however anglers use spinning reels, there are certain occasions when they need to disassemble them. The most common reasons for doing do are to conduct maintenance or repair on the reels or to clean them.
1. Turn the knob on top of the spinning reel counterclockwise. Continue turning it until you can pull it off of the body of the reel.
2. Grab the spool of the spinning reel and pull it straight up and off the reel.
3. Grab the knob on the opposite side of the reel from the handle. Turn the knob counterclockwise and pull it off the reel when you can.
4. Pull the handle off the reel.
5. Locate the screws on the side of the reel. Turn them counterclockwise with a screwdriver and lift them off the reel. Remove the plate that the screws hold to the reel. When you remove the plate, you will be able to see the inner parts of the reel.
Items you will need
- When taking a spinning reel apart, place all parts onto a white towel so you do not lose them.
- Tom Brakefield/Stockbyte/Getty Images