Silencers are used to suppress the explosive sound that results when a projectile is fired from a gun. Using supplies found in most households, along with some common tools, you could make a silencer using a straightforward procedure that requires no expertise in weaponry. Check with your local and state law enforcement agencies beforehand about regulations governing the use of silencers on weapons.
1. Cut off the neck and the bottom of the 16-ounce water bottle with the scissors. Dispose the cut portions of the bottle in the trash.
2. Cut off the neck of the one-liter water bottle with the scissors. Dispose of the cut-out neck in the trash.
3. Make a one-inch horizontal slit through the center of the bottom of the one-liter water bottle with the blade of the utility knife. Make a one-inch vertical slit through the center of the bottom of the one-liter water bottle.
4. Stand the one-liter water bottle on a table with the cut-out neck facing up. Insert the 16-ounce water bottle, bottom end down, into the cut-out neck of the one-liter water bottle.
5. Insert cotton balls into the open space between the sides of the 16-ounce water bottle and the one-liter water bottle. Stop inserting cotton balls when they reach the top of the one-liter water bottle.
6. Apply bonding glue around the cut-out neck of the 16-ounce water bottle. Hold together the cut-out neck of the 16-ounce water bottle against the cut-out neck of the one-liter water bottle for a minute to allow the bonding glue to take hold. Let the bonding glue set for five hours.
7. Push the tip of the gun’s barrel through the slits in the bottom of the one-liter water bottle (which now has been converted to a silencer). Secure the silencer you have made to the barrel with strips of duct tape.
Items you will need
- One-liter empty water bottle
- 16-ounce empty water bottle
- Utility knife
- Bonding glue
- Cotton balls
- Duct tape
- Shooting lower powered ammo also diminishes the sound from the gun when fired.
- The silencer also could be used on pellet and BB guns.
- Never aim a weapon at a person or pet.