How to Get a Lost Title for a Pop-Up Camper

Explore America's Campgrounds

Pop-up campers, like boat trailers and travel trailers, require license plates, and to get a license plate, you need the title. If you have a few pertinent pieces of information like your camper’s VIN and proof of insurance, it’s relatively easy to attain a duplicate title.

    Locate the VIN on your pop-up camper. The VIN, or vehicle identification number, is a 17-character system used to identify individual vehicles. The location of the VIN may vary from camper to camper. Typically, it can be found on a metal plate mounted on or near the camper's tow bar.

    Copy down your camper's license plate number and your proof of insurance if the vehicle is still being used. If you intend to sell the camper, you may want to just remove the plate and turn it in at the same time you apply for the duplicate title.

    Bring the above information to your local Department of Motor Vehicles. Protocol and fees for applying for a duplicate or replacement title will vary from state to state. However, the above-mentioned information will get the process moving along.

    Fill out any necessary forms to make the request. It's possible the DMV workers may have you fill out a special request form, or they may fill it in themselves using the information you provide them.

    Pay the fees for the duplicate title. Again, fees for duplicate titles vary from state to state. Check with the DMV for which forms of payment are acceptable.

    Allow time for the duplicate title to be mailed to you. The time, too, will vary from state to state. Typical wait time is one to four weeks.

    Items you will need

    • VIN number of your camper

    • License plate number

    • Registration papers for your pop-up camper

    • Applicable fees

Gone Outdoors