It doesn't take any special bait or talent to trap minnows. Simple supplies from your home and about 10 minutes of your time will leave you with the perfect minnow trap.
1. Cut the bottle where it starts to narrow. Lay the bottle on a flat surface to keep it from slipping. Better yet, get someone to hold the other end. Use a utility razor knife or Exacto knife if you have either available.
2. Place the cut top inside the remaining bottle with the narrow part down. Use the duct tape to secure the two together. This makes a funnel that the minnows will swim into but won't be able to get back out.
3. Place some pebbles inside the bottle to weight it down. Make a small hole near the top of the trap and fasten a string about 15 feet long.
4. Place some dry dog food or bread into the bottle and fill with water. Toss the trap into the stream in a calm, deep section. Check it in a couple of hours to see the minnows you have caught.
Items you will need
- 1 liter soft drink bottle
- Razor knife
- Small rocks
- Duct tape
- Steve Mason/Photodisc/Getty Images