Trapping quail is an excellent way to obtain the little birds without shooting them. You can construct a simple trap out of chicken wire. This trap has small, funnel-shaped entrances that guide the birds into the trap. Once inside, the opening in the funnel entrance is so small that the quail have a hard time finding their way out again. You can make this type trap in any size to accommodate even a large covey of quail. The trap is relatively easy to construct with the proper tools and materials.
1. Fold the large section of chicken wire in half across its width. Using the pliers, fasten a wire ring every two inches along one side and the bottom edge of the chicken wire to fasten them together. Leave one edge open. Spread the edges of the open side apart to form a large wire purse.
2. Cut an arch out of the center edge of the wire purse 6 inches deep and 4 inches wide. Repeat this step on the other side of the purse.
3. Bend one of the smaller sections of chicken wire down the middle so that one edge fits the newly cut arch. Fold the ends of the smaller wire section outward at 90-degree angles to form flanges. Use wire rings to attach the edge of the smaller section to the inside of the wire purse, along its edges and around the arch, forming a tunnel entrance. Repeat this step on the other side of the purse to form another entrance.
4. Cut a door in one side of the purse large enough to fit your arm through to retrieve the birds, once trapped. Wire the door shut with twist ties.
5. Bend the 18-gauge wire lengths in the middle to form a tight "U." These will be used as spikes to hold the edge of the trap to the ground.
6. Set the trap by driving the support sticks into the ground along a line at 1-foot intervals. Place the open side of the trap over the sticks. Insert a bent wire over the wire edge of the trap and into the ground. Repeat this step all the way around the trap to secure it to the ground.
7. Bait the trap by dropping corn or some other form of bait through the wire into the center of the trap.
Items you will need
- 1-inch mesh chicken wire, 12 feet by 4 feet
- 2 sections of chicken wire, 1 foot by 1 foot
- Twist ties
- 48 wire rings
- 24 6-inch lengths of 18 gauge wire
- 3 5 foot 1/2-inch support sticks
- Check the laws about trapping quail in your area before building and setting a quail trap.
- suicidal quail image by Wendi Evans from Fotolia.com