If taken care of properly, the Sea-Doo personal water craft is not prone to operational problems. One important part of Sea-Doo maintenance is servicing the water pump regularly. This part pumps water throughout the engine of the Sea-Doo, which in turn, keeps it from overheating. The pump consists of an impeller and gaskets, which need to be changed at least once a season if the Sea-Doo is used regularly.
1. Access the water pump and use a screwdriver to remove all the outflow hoses attached to the pump.
2. Use a screwdriver to remove the screws holding the water pump housing in place. Set them aside and lift the pump housing out.
3. Use the impeller tool to remove the impeller nut from the pump housing. The threads are left-handed threads, so the impeller nut has to be turned to the right for removal and to the left for installation.
4. Remove the old impeller, and place the new impeller from the water pump kit into the pump housing. Place a fresh gasket from the water pump kit onto the seal of the pump housing and then replace the propeller nut by turning it left with the impeller tool.
5. Set the pump housing back in place and replace the mounting screws with the screwdriver.
6. Use the screwdriver to replace the outflow hoses.
Items you will need
- Socket set
- Impeller tool
- Water pump kit
- Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images