Bobbers are a common item found in many fish tackle boxes. Generally bobbers are made of plastic, but some are also made from wood. Instead of buying bobbers from a bait or tackle shop, you can make your own out of wood. Balsa wood is a lightweight wood that can be quickly and easily shaped and used as a bobber. Making your own wooden bobbers out of balsa wood can be accomplished with little difficulty.
1. Carve the bobber shape out of the balsa wood block. This can be whatever shape you prefer. Typically, bobbers are round, oval or rod shaped.
2. Sand the balsa wood to smooth out any cuts or ridges left over from carving. Use medium grit sandpaper for initial sanding then smooth to a fine surface using fine grit sandpaper.
3. Paint the bobber with your choice color using outdoor, eco-friendly paint. Allow a few hours for the paint to dry. Coat the bobber with eco-friendly water sealant. Allow a few hours to dry.
4. Screw in a small eyelet screw on one end of the bobber. Remove the eyelet screw. Apply fast-bonding, outdoor adhesive to the screw post. Screw the eyelet back into the hole. Allow sufficient time to dry.
5. Attach the cinch clasp to the eyelet. Clip the cinch clasp to your fishing line at your desired spot when you're ready to use the bobber.
Items you will need
- Balsa wood
- Carving tools
- Eyelet screw
- Cinch clasp
- Water sealant
- You can also shape the bobber using power tools or shape the wood symmetrically if you have access to a lathe.
- Always ensure that you have a valid fishing license when fishing.
- Do not use indoor or lead or other metallic based paint for your bobber. Only use eco-friendly paint.
- Zedcor Wholly Owned/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images