Columbia's Omni-Tech fabric is a combination of waterproof and breathable materials. It's used to make protective, comfortable rain gear for the serious hiker who wants to stay dry without overheating. Omni-Tech's waterproof bottom layer wicks away perspiration from your skin without compromising insulation or protection from the rain or sun, while the outer layer repels the rain. Unfortunately, over time, wear and extreme conditions will loosen the waterproof outer layer of your Omni-Tech jacket, reducing its efficacy. Restoring the waterproofing to your Omni-Tech jacket can be taken care of by washing, drying and ironing.
1. Wash your Omni-Tech jacket in the washing machine using detergent specially formulated for waterproof materials. Purchase this detergent at any outdoor-equipment store or online. Set the washer for a cold wash and cold rinse to completely remove any stains or dirt.
2. Place your Omni-Tech jacket in the dryer on a tumble-dry setting at low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. The heat from the dryer will help fuse the outer waterproof layer to the second layer underneath.
3. Iron your Omni-Tech jacket by setting the iron on low-steam and applying firm, sweeping strokes across the material. Omni-Tech layers are laminated together during manufacturing; ironing mimics this lamination process and helps reconnect loose layers.
Items you will need
- Waterproof-material detergent
- Washing machine
- According to Sierra Trading Post, an Omni-Tech jacket has a waterproof rating of 10,000 mm, which means that "the garment can withstand over 32 feet (10,000 mm) of rainfall in a single day without letting moisture in."
- Ryan McVay/Lifesize/Getty Images