Our modern society has come a long way from the old-fashioned method of using flint and steel to start a fire. No longer do we have to carefully hoard our coals lest the fire will go out. Today, we have matches, allowing us to have a fire anywhere, anytime we want it. But what do you do when you've got a pocketful of matches, but you've lost the box? Don't worry, you can still strike a match without the box.
Swipe the match quickly across any rough surface such as a brick or a stone. Make sure that you hold the match securely so it doesn't snap.
Briskly scratch the head of the match with your fingernail if there is no rough surface available.
Light a match by holding its head in an existing flame source such as a candle or hot coals.
Items you will need
- Strike-anywhere matches
- A rough surface
- Hold the stick of the match tightly between your thumb and middle finger.
- Place your index finger firmly on the stick close to the head.
- Strike firmly and smoothly away from your body.
- Strike-on-the-box matches will not work without the box.
- The striker strip for this type of match contains a chemical needed to light the match.
- Mandy Schaffer/Demand Media