Gun safes do not offer enough protection against fire. You can fireproof the interior of a gun safe as well as adding additional fireproof protection for the gun inside. You will need some hardware and gun shop supplies. You will also need a few items from a pharmacy that can be purchased over the counter. Your fireproofed gun safe will help to protect your gun from a house fire until the fire department shows up.
1. Open the gun safe. Remove the gun from inside of the gun safe. Place a trigger guard on the gun. Put the gun away in a safe and hidden location.
2. Line the inside of the gun safe at the top, bottom and sides with fireproof gypsum tiles.
3. Cut the fireproof gypsum tiles as necessary on a work table with a hacksaw to ensure that the fireproof gypsum tiles fit securely inside of the gun safe.
4. Apply bonding glue liberally to the top, bottom and sides inside of the gun safe.
5. Push the fireproof gypsum tiles against the bonding glue. Let the bonding glue set for 24 hours.
6. Measure three pints of ammonium chloride in a measuring cup. Pour the ammonium chloride into the mixing bowl.
7. Measure a half cup of ammonium phosphate in the measuring cup. Pour the ammonium phosphate into the mixing bowl.
8. Mix the contents in the mixing bowl with the wooden stirrer. Dispose of the wooden stirrer in the trash.
9. Put on the work gloves. Dip the gun cloth thoroughly in the mixing bowl. Saturate the gun cloth with the mixture in the mixing bowl.
10. Drape the gun cloth on the clothes hanger.
11. Hang the clothes hanger on a chair or ledge outside. Leave the gun cloth outside for a day or two until it is dry.
12. Remove the trigger guard from gun.
13. Wrap the fireproof gun cloth around the gun. Put the gun back inside of the gun safe.
14. Close the door of the gun safe. Lock the door of the gun safe that you have fireproofed.
Items you will need
- Trigger guard
- Fireproof gypsum tiles
- Work table
- Bonding glue
- Work gloves
- Measuring cup
- Mixing bowl
- Ammonium chloride
- Ammonium phosphate
- Gun cloth
- Distilled water
- Clothes hanger