Constructing a screen room addition for an RV or trailer is a relatively simple task. A small screened room can add more square footage to the trailer and provide a great place to escape from bugs while still enjoying the outdoors. The room can be made out of PVC tubing for supports and be lined with tarps and screens. It also can be designed to be easily packed up and reused. The measurements for this plan will be 10-by-10-by-10 feet.
1. Plan the dimensions of the room. It can be as large as you want to make it as long as the height does not exceed that of your RV or trailer. The measurements for this example will be 10-by-10-by-10 feet.
2. Cut framing parts using 3/4-inch-thick PVC. Cut 24 lengths that are five feet long. By using to five-foot lengths for each side, the tent will be able to collapse into a smaller size when not in use.
3. Assemble the frame using PVC fittings. You will need eight corner fittings and 12 joiner fittings in order to properly assemble the system. When finished, the frame should be a 10-by-10-by-10-foot cube.
4. Cut four pieces of screen 10-by-10 feet. Clamp them to the sides of the PVC frame. Cut a piece of tarp 10-by-10 feet. Clamp it to the top of the frame.
5. Sew the corners of the screens together. Sew the tarp corners on as well. Sew enough seams that the frame can be removed, but the screens and tarp will stay lightly attached. Sew the length of the screens and tarp with a sewing machine. Triple stitch seams from top to bottom of the screens and all the way across the tarp.
6. Hang the screen over the frame and place it next to the trailer. Decide where to put an entrance to the room and an entrance to the trailer. Mark these holes with marker. Cut pieces of tarp large enough for the doors. Using the sewing machine, sew tarp doors to the screen. Leave flaps for entry.
Items you will need
- 24 5-foot lengths of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) pipe
- 8 corner fittings
- 12 extension fittings
- 4 10-by-10-foot screen
- 1 10-by-10-foot tarp
- 2 3-by-6-foot tarp doors
- Sewing machine
- rv,rving image by Greg Pickens from Fotolia.com