Gone Outdoors

How to Register a Utility Trailer in Massachusetts

by Michael Elkins

Utility trailers have to be registered in the state of Massachusetts through the Department of Transportation. The process is reasonably painless, though, with only a few fees and some paperwork required. Be prepared to spend a day or so getting the paperwork in order, and give yourself enough time to register the trailer before you take it on the road.

Obtain and complete form RMV1. This form is available from the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Take the completed form RMV1 to your insurance agent to buy a policy for the trailer. The insurance agent must sign the form to signify that you have coverage on the property you are registering.

Bring the completed RMV1 form to your Department of Transportation along with proof of ownership and cash or a credit card to pay the applicable fees. Additionally, bring the following with you: a certificate of origin if the trailer was purchased new, a title if it was purchased used and is over 3,000 pounds, or a bill of sale if the trailer weighs less than 3,000 pounds and therefore does not require a title.

Items you will need
  • Insurance
  • Proof of ownership
  • RMV1


  • A registration from the previous owner, an excise bill or an original certificate of title may be used to transfer ownership if the other paperwork is lacking.

About the Author

Michael Elkins is the administrator for an adult group home in Stockton, Calif. He was been writing stories, journals, essays and articles since 1998. He is the recipient of the Sylvia Lopez-Medina award for short fiction and has also published his work in the literary magazine "Penumbra."