A gun holster is a safe way to carry around a hobby weapon like a pellet gun or dart gun while keeping it available to you at a moment’s notice. You can make a homemade gun holster from a few hardware supplies and some items found in most households. You also need some leather that can be gotten from a shoe repair or a crafts store. Your homemade gun holster may not look as professionally made as one you could buy, but it will cradle your pellet or dart gun as effectively as any bought in a gun store.
1. Unload any ammunition from the pellet or dart gun. Put a sheet of newspaper on a table. Put the thin sheet of leather on the newspaper with one of the 8-inch ends facing you.
2. Measure 4 inches from the bottom end of the thin sheet of leather with the ruler. Mark the 4-inch mark with the pencil.
3. Place the pellet or dart gun on its side on the thin sheet of leather at the 4-inch mark with the barrel facing to the left.
4. Slide the pellet or dart gun toward the right so that the hammer at the back end of the gun is even with the right side edge of the thin sheet of leather.
5. Fold the bottom end of the thin sheet of leather up toward the other end. Stop folding when the end reaches the top edge of the gun. Smooth the crease down with your fingers.
6. Fold the top end of the sheet of leather down so that it covers the bottom end. Continue folding the top end until it can no longer be folded. Smooth the crease of the top end of the thin sheet of leather down with your fingers.
7. Thread the sewing needle with the polyester thread. Sew across the thin sheet of leather where the top end touches the leather. Cut the polyester thread with the scissors on the inside of the thin sheet of leather and tie a knot.
8. Thread the sewing needle with the polyester thread again. Sew across the thin sheet of leather at the bottom to close up the two sides of the thin sheet of leather. Cut the polyester thread with the scissors on the inside of the thin sheet of leather and tie a knot.
9. Tape the thin sheet of leather that is now a holster to the outside of your right pants leg with duct tape so that the hammer of the gun is closest to your waist (reverse this if you're left-handed).
Items you will need
- 8 x 10 inch thin leather sheet
- Polyester thread
- Sewing needle
- Duct tape
- Work pants
- You can use a sewing machine to sew the leather for a more professional look.
- Do not have any small children or pets near the work area where you will be making your gun holster, since your pellet or dart gun will have to be there as well and must be kept away from them.