Homemade Spray That Kills Mold and Mildew Odors

by Ida Tolen
Mold and mildew odors can develop in bathrooms.

Mold and mildew odors can develop in bathrooms.

Mold and mildew tend to develop in areas of the home that are damp or humid. You can usually see mold and mildew growing in affected areas. Another telltale sign of a potential mold problem is a musty odor that emanates from a bathroom, laundry room or kitchen. To avoid a serious mold growth problem, a thorough cleanup may be necessary. Make a homemade spray that kills mold and mildew odors.

Locate the source of the musty odor. Mold can appear as bluish-green or black stains. In a bathroom, look at tiles, tub and shower curtains, as mold can develop on these areas. If you find mold growth on a surface, disinfect and deodorize the affected area. Put on your gloves before cleaning any type of mold or mildew growth.

Fill a spray bottle with water and add the baking soda to it. Shake the bottle to mix the ingredients.

Spray the solution onto a moldy or mildewed surface. Scrub the surface thoroughly with the scrub brush, then rinse the area with clean water to remove any remaining mold or mildew residue. The baking soda can kill mold and remove its musty odor. For a persistent odor, proceed to the next step.

Pour the distilled vinegar into another spray bottle. Spray the undiluted vinegar on the moldy surface and allow it to remain there for at least 1 hour.

Rinse the vinegar from the area with clean water and let the surface dry. Any lingering vinegar smell should go away in several hours.

Keep surfaces--such as bathroom tiles, tiled floors and tubs--free from mold and its odor by spraying them on a weekly basis with undiluted vinegar and leaving it on these areas to dry completely.

Items you will need

  • Rubber gloves
  • Large spray bottles
  • Water
  • 3 tbsp. baking soda
  • Scrub brush
  • 4 oz distilled white vinegar

Tips

  • Because exposure to severe mold growth in a home can be detrimental to your health, clean it up promptly and correct the conditions that caused the moisture problem. Mold spores belong to the fungi group.
  • Alternatively--with products such as tea tree oil--you can make other natural sprays to destroy mold or mildew and its musty odor.
  • When there is severe water damage that affects the entire home, the musty odor can be very persistent and may require the use of chlorine bleach and water to remove it.

Photo Credits