If you're looking to pitch a tent in a campground with all the amenities, pickings are going to be slim for you on South Padre Island, Texas. You'll find only a few campgrounds on the island, and some of them do not accept tent campers. But that doesn't mean you can't camp -- you just have to pack your sense of adventure.
1. Check the availability of the tent space at Isla Blanca RV Park. It has a number of tent spaces available. If you think you need amenities such as a restroom and shower, make a reservation as soon as possible, as this is the only place to tent camp on the island. If this doesn't work, you'll have to move on to more rustic accommodations.
2. Drive north to Edwin K. Atwood Park, about 1.4 miles north of Andy Bowie Park on South Padre. Pay the vehicle fee of $4.
3. Drive north along the beach access road until you find a satisfactory place to camp. Set up your camp on the darker sand, and you shouldn't be hassled by authorities. You can park your RV on the sand as well. Locals say that as long as you don't park near "No Trespassing" signs and you clean up after yourself, you should stay out of trouble.
4. Camp with an RV. If you have an RV, your choices get wider on South Padre. Besides Port Isabel RV Park, you have the option of driving your rig into the South Padre KOA and Andy Bowie State Park.
Items you will need
- Camping Gear
- beach image by Horticulture from Fotolia.com